DEATH ROAD BIKING PERU (AWAY FROM TOURISTS!)
Mountain biking down the “Worlds Dangerous Road” from heights mountain of Machu Picchu (Yana Mayo pass ) is one of the most popular activities amongst backpackers in Peru. Suitable for confident beginners and experienced riders alike this is a ride to remember. Starting amongst stunning mountain scenery at a height of 4560 meters and winding down through the Yungas cloud forest to the semi tropical setting of Ocobamba this is the best way to the experience beautiful scenery of the area in combination with the adrenalin rush of downhill mountain biking.
We work with BikingPeruTrek to offer this ride so we are confident we are offering the safest, most professional trip available. All equipment is thoroughly maintained and of the highest quality. The English speaking guides are trained to the highest standards.
- The Ride
- Start Time 5.30 Am – meeting up in Plaza De Armas- Cusco
- Finish Time – Arriving back in Cusco at 8-9pm approx
- Altitude Range – 4500 meters to 1300 meters
- Skill Level – Confident Beginners
- Approximate Riding time – 4 to 5 hours
- Approximate Downhill – 90% (some small uphill sections)
ITINERARY OPTION 1
Pick up 6am at your place and transfer via Ollantaytambo to the pass of Yamamayo (4500m, approx. 3h) where we will start our fantastic ride down towards the jungle (approx. 3h / 4500m > 1500m). On this remote ride we can see local habitants, Alpacas, Lamas, Ships and maybe even a Condor. We will be crossing small rivers and having views to high mountains as Veronica / Pumahuanca / Oelranca. For lunch, we will choose a cosy place, adapted to your wishes. Then it keeps going towards the jungle. Climate and landscape changes and it gets warmer. If we are lucky we will be visiting some coca fields on our arrival. From this point we pick you up and transfer to Cusco. (approx. 4 h)
ITINERARY OPTION 2
Same starting point and riding about half way of the distance. Pick up and getting up by car to the pass again. (Lunch with spectacular view) Then riding down on the other side of the pass towards Ollantaytambo. From there returning by car to cusco. (approx 2 hours)
Arriving time in Cusco approx. 4 pm (driving with car approx. 5 hours)
- Same as option 1, but overnight in a guesthouse in the jungle.
- All transportation from and back to Cusco (private car)
- Professional English or Spanish speaking guide
- Box lunch (vegetarian and non vegetarian)
- Option 3 (Guesthouse with dinner and breakfast)
YOU SHOULD BRING:
- Good shoes for biking / Sun cream
- Some fruits or drinks as banana, chocolate snacks or energy drinks
- Good mood
MAKE YOUR RESERVATION NOW
Death Road Biking Peru
US$ 180 | US$ 120
2 Days or 1 Day
Departure: All Year.